Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Thus Far

It's been a while since I given my blog a new heading, so I thought I'd fill you in on my summer thus far. As many of you know, my plans to lead worship at Vail Church fell through only a few days before I was to leave. In the meantime, I have been leading worship at New Horizons Church in my hometown, Jetmore. I have been so blessed at how hungry and responsive the people have been. Although my plans for the summer were more of being "poured into," I am excited that people are able to connect with God through worship at New Horizons.

Last week, I went to Vail to visit Bobby. He is spending the next few weeks in Vail, working with Campus Crusade staff and students from all over the country. The students participated in an activity called "The Great Rescue," while I was there. They were divided into groups of ten and had to share gospel with three people (role-playing) who had physical and emotional needs. My role was to be someone who didn't know Jesus, along with three others. If the physical and emotional needs were met by the students, they "rescued" us. These scenarios are meant to encourage students to share the faith with others.

After 1 pm, the groups gathered together and debriefed about the morning's experiences with sharing their faith. One of the physical needs of another role-player, Martin, was that he was a bum with mud on his face, discouraged about losing his job. One of the students, Adam, ripped his sleeves off his t-shirt to wash Martin's face.

The whole time while I was in Vail, the selflessness of Adam gripped me. He didn't do it because he wanted to be noticed, he just genuinely wanted to help Martin out. Little did he know how much this selfless act impacted my heart and the hearts of many others. What an amazing picture of agape love . . . giving without any expectation of having one's own needs met.

Bless you all as we continue through our summers! Love to you all!

No comments: